Intensive Feeding & Swallowing Program
Our Children’s Specialty Hospital offers a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach for evaluation and treatment of feeding and swallowing disorders. Our feeding clinic at LifeScape can help identify the specific challenges your child maybe having with feeding and offer a wide variety of program options to meet the unique needs of your child.
- South Dakota’s first and only speech-language pathologist who is board-certified in swallowing and swallowing disorders
- Multi-disciplinary approach
- Program options specifically focused on difficulties with feeding and swallowing
Variety of Options
- Outpatient Program: Recommended for patients who have feeding and swallowing difficulties that can be managed and treated with a frequency of 1-3x/wk. Many patients will be here and transition to a more intensive program.
- Intensive Day Program (2-4 weeks): This program is recommended for patients who may not need around the clock medical attention however, feeding difficulties are sever enough to warrant high frequency therapy. Speech and occupational therapy sessions will take place 3-4x/day, five days a week.
- Intensive Inpatient Program (2-3 weeks): This program is recommended for children with severe feeding difficulties (feeding tube dependence, malnutrition total food refusal) who may have higher medical needs or a need for close monitoring by medical professionals. Maybe recommended for patients who are ready for tube weaning or have trialed outpatient therapy with little success. This program involves an evaluation and monitoring by a GI doctor as well as oversight from a pediatrician.