Brain Injury Program
Our Children’s Specialty Hospital Brain Injury Program provides high quality care to children and young adults who are healing from a brain injury. Our team of experienced professionals will focus on overall health and recovery of skills lost by providing intensive therapy services and 24-hour medical care. Our team is dedicated to developing a treatment plan incorporating patient and family goals to achieve the best outcome.
- Dr. Kate Sigford, South Dakota’s only physician to be board-certified in both physical medical and rehabilitation and pediatric rehabilitation.
- High-tech assistive technology solutions that aid in communication, feeding and swallowing, upper and lower extremity movement and mobility, as well as ways in which to engage in other daily tasks guided by advanced technology.
- South Dakota’s first and only speech-language pathologist who is board-certified in swallowing and swallowing disorders.
- Close-to-Home Care – Staying close to home during the healing process can provide real comfort and convenience. Children’s Specialty Hospital at LifeScape is the only pediatric rehabilitation hospital in South Dakota and the surrounding area.
Children's Specialty Hospital provides collaborative care to children and young adults (birth to 21) who may have experienced the following medical conditions related to a brain injury:
- Traumatic brain injuries (trauma)
- Brain bleeds/bruising
- Infection (Encephalitis and Meningitis)
- Severe concussion
We know kids.
Our team will help your child through the physical, cognitive, and emotional challenges and help set goals to increase independence and demonstrate confidence throughout recovery. We will work to restore function through therapeutic approaches which may include electrical stimulation, weight bearing, functional task repetition, locomotor training, vital stim, use of assistive technology and aquatic therapy.