LifeScape offers swimming lessons to all children, no matter their developmental abilities. Lessons are available both individually and in small groups settings.
Adapted Aquatics is individual swimming lessons that adapt the aquatic environment to meet the needs of children and adults with special needs. The goals are to teach water safety and recreational swimming skills to the best of the individual’s ability through a personalized program.
Swimmers get the opportunity for success, boosting confidence in other areas of their lives. Often children who have difficulty physically or socially playing with other children can be on very equal terms in the water. Adults with special needs are welcome in Adapted Aquatics, too.
Instructors use specialized aquatics equipment and teaching tools for children and adults with a variety of special needs.
This allows the student to:
- Overcome fear of the water
- Feel the freedom of being in the water
- Succeed in all levels of swimming
- Experience relief from pain and muscle spasms
- Increase strength and balance
- Improve dexterity and fine motor skills
Student Goal Development
Goals are individualized for each child using input from parents, physical therapists, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, doctors, teachers, and often input from the child themselves.
Socials skills are emphasized, including peer interaction, games, communication skills, and taking turns.
Cost for Adapted Aquatics Sessions:
- $30 per half-hour
- 30-minute sessions once or twice a week
Adapted Aquatics is not covered by insurance or Medicaid. It is a private pay service. If you need financial assistance, these sources are able to help:
- Family Support Network
- LifeScape Scholarships-Scholarship Application
- School Districts (IEP) at school’s discretion
Children who are developing typically can take swimming lessons at LifeScape, either individually or in small groups.
Skills are built in a logical progression:
- Water entry and exit
- Water safety
- Building endurance
- Breath control and submerging
- Swim on front, back, and side
- Stroke and turn refinement
By the end of the course, participants have the prerequisite skills and the necessary fitness level for entrance into advanced courses. This may include Water Safety instructor or other aquatic activities, such as competitive swimming and diving.
Course Length and Ages Served
There is no minimum or maximum length of time. Skills are generally developed in eight lessons of 30 minutes each. The recommended minimum age for lessons is around six years old, although younger children can benefit from one-on-one lessons. There is no maximum age for lessons and no prerequisite skills required.
Cost for swimming lessons:
- Individual: $20 for 30 minutes of $160 for an 8-week session
- Semi-Private (2 students): $15 for 30 minutes or $120 per child for an 8-week session
- Small Group (3-4 students): $10 for 30 minutes per child or $80 per child for an 8-week session
Lessons are held in the lower level of LifeScape, 2501 W. 26th Street in Sioux Falls. The swimming pool is 28’ wide and 64’ long. The depth ranges from two feet to nine feet. The water temperature is kept between 94 and 96 degrees. For details, call 605-444-9579.