LifeScape provides highly specialized therapy and psychology services for individuals of all ages.
Services are provided in outpatient clinic settings in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Sioux City, as well as through LifeScape's residential, specialty school, and inpatient rehabilitation and medically complex programs in Sioux Falls.
NEW! AbleKids Pediatric Therapy of Sioux City is now LifeScape AbleKids – Click Here to Learn More.
LifeScape offers free screenings for children under age four:
- General Development: Developmental screenings are provided by a licensed pediatric therapist, addressing the development of gross motor, fine motor, self-help, and speech/language skills.
- Orthotics & Prosthetics: LifeScape’s subsidiary Rehabilitation Medical Supply provides initial consultations for all orthotic and prosthetic services.
- Autism (provided for children 3 and under): The one-hour screenings include testing by up to three professionals. If further testing is recommended, a doctor's order is needed for a full autism evaluation at LifeScape, which is led by pediatric psychiatrist Dr. David Ermer. The evaluation team also includes a psychologist, occupational therapist, and speech-language pathologist.
LifeScape also provides therapy (as well as educational and psychological consulting) in school districts across the state. (In fiscal year 2016, our Sioux Falls therapists drove 80,107 miles providing outreach services. Rapid City therapists logged 133,950 miles.) We are also a Birth to Three provider.
Expertise in a Variety of Conditions and Disabilities
With locations in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Sioux City, our team of experts provides a range of evaluation and treatment services for both children and adults with a variety of conditions and disabilities.
Highly Specialized Treatments
Our therapists provide highly specialized treatments in: assistive technology, seating and positioning, feeding and swallowing, augmentative communication, sensory integration, pediatric bowel and bladder incontinence; visual motor/perception; torticollis treatment; serial casting; behavior management; and diagnosis and treatment of autism.
Onsite Physician Consultation
A physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation is available onsite for consultation by appointment.
For information and referrals, contact admissions at 605-444-9708 in Sioux Falls, and 605-791-7406 in Rapid City.
- Developmental skills such as sitting, crawling, walking, and jumping
- Strength, range of motion, and endurance
- Stretching or relaxing tight muscles, including serial casting and torticollis treatments
- Functional mobility with assistive devices, such as manual and power wheelchairs, walkers, and gait trainers
- Incontinence of the bowel and bladder in children
- Toe-walking in children
- Many other skills related to movement
- Fine motor skills such as reaching, grasping, handwriting, and tool use
- Independence in self-care, such as feeding, dressing, brushing teeth, etc.
- Visual motor and visual perceptual skills
- Reducing sensitivity to sensory stimuli: touch, sounds, smells, tastes, and movement
- Gaining functional skills through use of adaptive equipment or assistive technology
- Developmental language skills
- Articulation, voice quality, or stuttering to increase functional speech
- Expressive language skills
- Receptive language skills, comprehension, and vocabulary development
- Swallowing and oral motor function
- Picky eating and food aversions
- Social interaction skills
- Reading ability
- Functional communication skills through alternative methods such as sign language, PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System), augmentative communication devices, or other assistive technology devices
- Problem solving and memory
LifeScape is proud to use Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) in its behavioral and teaching programming.
- ABA is research-based and the only established method of teaching approved for people with autism.
- It is effective for teaching children, adolescents, and adults of all abilities.
- ABA has been endorsed by the National Institutes of Health, the Association for Science in Autism Treatment, and the Surgeon General of the United States.
LifeScape employs the largest number of certified behavior analysts in the region.
LifeScape's clinical psychologists provide cognitive and behavioral therapy and counseling for individuals with mental health diagnoses and other challenges, including:
- Emotional/behavioral issues
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Depression, mood disorders, and anxiety
- Adjustment problems
- Grief, trauma, and more
Testing services include:
- IQ/Cognitive and Achievement assessments
- Psychological assessments
- Autism evaluations
Services are available to individuals (children & adults), couples, and families.
Specialty Clinics and Evaluations
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinic
- TEAM (Tone Evaluation And Management) Clinic
- Feeding & Swallowing
- Autism Clinic
- Power Mobility Clinic
- Seating & Positioning Clinic
- Assistive Technology Clinic
- CARE (Cranial Asymmetry Repositioning Evaluation) Clinic for Infants
- Toe-Walking Clinic