- Sensory processing therapy
- Social skills groups
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Early Start Denver Model
- Food aversion treatment
- Bowel and bladder incontinence training
- Adaptive Aquatics
- Clinical psychology for individuals and families
- Speech-language pathology
- Occupational and physical therapy
You’ve probably heard the statistics: 1 in 68 children is now being diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Maybe you’ve wondered if your child has autism. Or, maybe you already have a diagnosis. Either way, LifeScape can help.
We have the expertise to help children gain communication, behavioral, social, sensory, and learning skills to grow up as independently as possible.
For adults with autism, LifeScape offers supports for safe and fulfilling lives, as well as therapeutic interventions. Whether the need for supports is mild or significant, LifeScape can provide the help you need for your loved one.
Free Autism Screenings
For peace of mind, we provide free autism screenings for children 4 and under at LifeScape, performed by clinicians who specialize in autism treatment. No referral is needed – simply contact us at your convenience to set up your appointment. The screening takes about one hour to complete. We will answer any questions you have about your child’s development and behavior, and let you know if a full evaluation is recommended.
Comprehensive Autism Evaluations
To determine if a child has an ASD, our multidisciplinary team provides comprehensive autism evaluations.
The Autism Evaluation Team is led by child psychiatrist David Ermer, MD. Also on the team are a psychologist, speech-language pathologist, and occupational therapist. Together, they can assess all aspects of your child’s needs.
Referrals & Funding
Autism evaluations require a referral from the child’s physician or school. Funding sources are insurance or Medicaid (if the referral is made by a physician) or school districts (if the child’s school makes the referral). LifeScape will take care of billing for the evaluation.
What to expect
The evaluation takes about 4 hours. Afterwards, we will give you an educational and/or medical diagnosis. We’ll walk you through what the results mean for you and your family, and answer any questions you may have.
No other organization in the region can match LifeScape’s level of staff expertise in treating children with autism.
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) - Board-Certified & Registered Behavior Analysts use a systematic, data-based strategy to teach or improve critical skills needed for independence. LifeScape's ABA therapy program is designed for those 18 and younger who have a diagnosis of autism. If your child doesn't have a diagnosis, but you suspect an autism spectrum disorder, contact us for a free screening or for information on the full evaluation process. (ABA can also be helpful for adults with ASD, though insurance coverage may not apply.)
- Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) - For Children 1-5 with autism or autism-like symptoms. ESDM combines ABA and developmental methods in an interdisciplinary treatment model. The team includes professionals from psychology, behavior therapy, speech-language pathology, and occupational therapy.
- Clinical Psychology - LifeScape's Clinical Psychologists provide cognitive and behavioral therapy and counseling for individuals with autism and other behavioral challenges. Services are available to children & adults, couples, and families.
- Occupational Therapy - Occupational therapy helps people respond to information coming through the senses. This includes developmental activities, sensory integration or sensory processing, and play activities. Occupational therapists facilitate play activities that aid individuals in interacting and communicating with others, devise strategies to help with transitions. Therapists identify, develop, or adapt work and other daily activities that are meaningful to enhance the person’s quality of life.
- Speech-Language Pathology - Speech-Language help children and adults overcome social, communication and language barriers that are at the core of all autism spectrum disorders. Other areas of expertise include Augmentative & Alternative Communication and intensive feeding therapy.
- Plus, additional services according to the unique needs of the individual, such as physical therapy, orthotics, or physiatry (physical medicine & rehabilitation).
Physician referral is required for many of the above services. (Psychological services do not need a physician referral.) We are in-network with most area insurance companies.
To schedule your free autism screening or simply to speak with one of our on-staff experts, please give us a call at 605.444.9700. We’re here to help.
Levels of Care
Consultation to Schools
Lifescape professionals provide consultation to schools, working with educators to create effective Individual Education Plan supports and classroom environments. Areas of consultation include:
- • Special education
- • Behavioral (School Psychology and Applied Behavior Analysis)
- • Speech-language pathology
- • Occupational and physical therapy
- • Assistive technology
- • Adapted physical education