- We have the ability to serve children of all abilities, including children with developmental disabilities. Many patients have complex, co-occurring diagnoses.
- Our professionals have pediatric training and experience in the areas of rehabilitation, medicine, education, psychology/behavior analysis, and other clinical professions – to create a customized treatment plan,involving the patient, as well as family and close friends.
- Patient rooms can accommodate parents/guardians to stay with their child. The Family Room is a private area for relaxing and enjoying family time.
- A family apartment is also available on-site to accommodate two or more family members.
- Rehab patients have access to a simulated home kitchen environment for functional skills, specialized therapy equipment throughout the facility, and a warm water swimming pool as part of their therapy program.
- Small, family-like atmosphere provides a high level of compassionate support for family members of the patient.
Inpatient Rehabilitation and Medically Complex Care
LifeScape’s Fisher Coon Unit is an 18-bed specialty hospital that offers excellent, cost-effective post-acute care to patients from birth through age 21. The unit has two programs: Medically Complex and Inpatient Rehabilitation. The specialty hospital is located at our 26th Street facility in Sioux Falls.
Medically Complex Program
This program is for patients with significant medical needs who do not require continuous acute care. Our high nurse-to-patient ratio allows every child to receive individualized attention.
Medically Complex Services
- IV therapy
- Nutritional therapy via gastrostomy, jejunostomy, NG or NJ
- Palliative care
- Respiratory therapy
- Tracheostomy care
- Skilled nursing observation following casting or surgeries
- Suctioning, oxygen administration
- Ventilator use and weaning
Inpatient Rehabilitation Program
This program serves children needing rehabilitation after accidents, illness, or surgery. Stays are typically short-term for intense rehabilitation to assist the patient in returning to their previous level of function.
The Rehab Team
A pediatric rehabilitation physician leads the rehab team. The team includes pediatric nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech-language pathology. It also includes respiratory therapy, dietetics, social work, and care coordination.
Families are heavily involved in the treatment planning process, goal setting, and treatment sessions. Often, families room-in with the child to provide extra support.
Transition to Outpatient Services
When inpatient rehabilitation is complete, patients can seamlessly transition to outpatient care at either our Sioux Falls or Rapid City location – or to a local provider.
Inpatient Rehabilitation Admissions Criteria
- Need for ongoing care requiring inpatient hospitalization
- Medically stable
- Capable of participation in a minimum of 3 hours of therapy per day
- Demonstrates potential for rehabilitation and home-like discharge
- Must be admitted by a primary physician with admitting privileges
For information and referrals, contact admissions at 605-444-9556.